In collaboration with the Head of School and with the support of the Consul General, the School’s seven-member Board establishes strategic priorities to further the mission of empowering students for success in a global world.
The Board is responsible for fiscal oversight, management of the School’s assets, and support of fundraising activities. Each year, the School is audited by a certified public accountant; the results are reported during the Annual Meeting of the Members and Board election in the fall. In 2016 the Board initiated the GISB Merit Award, an annual scholarship honoring academic excellence, extracurricular activities and community service.
Members of the Board of Trustees:
- Ulrike Bagehorn, Chair of the Board & President
- Horacio Facca, Treasurer
- Roy Goldschmitt, Secretary
- Johannes Frühauf
- Carolin McCaffrey
- Anja von Rosenstiel
- Martina Stippler
- Torin Koester, Chair of the GISB Parent Council, Ex-officio Member
- Nicole Menzenbach, Consul General of the Federal Republic of Germany in Boston, Ex-officio Member
- Elizabeth von Wagner, Delegate of the Consul General of the Federal Republic of Germany in Boston, Ex-officio Member
Advisory Council to the Board of Trustees:
- Steffen Kaupp, Director Language Programs & Deputy Director of the Goethe-Institut Boston
- Emily Westhoven, Executive Director of German-American Business Council of Boston
- Karen Karidoyanes, Director, Undergraduate International, and Transfer Admission at Bentley University,
Click here to learn more about the member of the Board of Trustees.
Dr. Bodo Reinisch, Chair
Professor Emeritus, University of Massachusetts Lowell
Co-Founder and founding Treasurer; Chairman & President, 2009 – 2013
Member of the Board of Trustees, 2000 – 2002 and 2008 – 2013
Mr. Ernst Richard Matthiensen
Co-Founder and founding Chairman & President
Member of the Board of Trustees, 2000-2006
Mrs. Ann Fissler
Member of the Board of Trustees, 2001 – 2005
Dr. Guido Goldman
Director Emeritus of the Study of Germany and Europe, Harvard University
Co-Chair of the German Marshall Fund of the United States
Dr. Marietta Lutze Sackler, In Memoriam
Co-owner of Dr. Kade Pharmazeutische Fabrik GmbH, Berlin
Dr. John Silber, In Memoriam
President Emeritus, Boston University
GISB is a non-profit membership corporation under Massachusetts law. This means that the organization is governed by a Board of Trustees, elected by the School’s members. Members of German International School Boston are informed about and have a voice in the governance of the School.
All current parents/guardians are strongly encouraged to become members of the corporation and participate in Board elections. Membership fees are waived for parents/guardians of current students.